Navigationsweiche Anfang

Navigationsweiche Ende

Select language

Center for Graduate Studies (CGS)

The best way to contact the CGS is via e-mail. For the time being, Mr. Hanebeck offers advisory sessions by phone or video chat only. Please send a request via e-mail in advance. Additionally, we offer the following

Telephone office hours

Office (+49 202 439-2702)
Mon: 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. (financial support)
Fri: 8 a.m. - 12 a. m. (financial support)

Management (+49 202 439-2089)
Wed: 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.

University of Wuppertal
Campus Grifflenberg
Room P.08.12/13
Gaußstr. 20, 42119 Wuppertal
Phone: +49 (0) 202 439-2702

How do I get a Permit of Residence in Germany?

International PhD Students who are already officially enrolled as PhD Students of the University of Wuppertal must also register with the Residents’ Registration Office (German: Einwohnermeldeamt). After the successful registration at the Residents’ Registration Office, non-EU international PhD Students are required to apply for a “Permit of Residence” (German: Aufenthaltsgenehmigung). The institution which is responsible for issuing such permits is the Foreigners’ Registration Office Wuppertal. Please bear in mind that in the current situation, the waiting time for an appointment is about 6-8 months. Requests for extension of visa must also be submitted to the Foreigners’ Registration Office. Special attention should be paid to the fact that failure to apply for / extend your permit of residence in due time can lead to substantial and considerable bureaucratic and financial difficulties for you. We strongly recommend that you contact the Foreigners’ Registration Office well in advance of the expiry date of your visa

Do (international) doctoral students have to take out German health insurance?

Doctoral students whose general living costs are covered by a scholarship are not legally obliged to have health insurance and must take out a policy of their own with either a public or private sector health insurance company. Please note that the policy rates of the public sector insurance providers vary in Germany from federal state to state. The reason for this is that the legal status of scholarships has not yet been determined. While they do not formally count as income, most public sector providers treat them as such.
For external doctoral students who finance their studies through professional work rather than through a university post or scholarship the legal obligation to possess health insurance depends on the specific employment and/or financial situation. A person who earns more than €400 per month must be insured. Self-employed people, state officials (Beamte) and employees whose annual income exceeds €50,850.00 may take out a policy with a private health insurance company.
(Source and further information:  Positionspapier der Promovierenden-Initiative zur Stellung der Promovierenden an deutschen Hochschulen)
International students are subject to different regulations. EU citizens, along with citizens of some non-EU countries with which Germany has a social insurance treaty, can be exempted from the health insurance obligation on presentation of evidence that they are insured in their home country. The document required is Form E 128 or the European Health Insurance Card EHIC.
(Source and further information:

Do Doctoral Students have to pay tuition fees?

Doctoral students are exempted from UW tuition fee, but they must pay the Semester fee (for the current sum please check here) on initial registration and on renewal of registration for each subsequent semester.

Refund of semester ticket costs

Postgraduates living outside of NRW (North Rhine-Westphalia), who only attend the UW for occasional consultations and examinations, are entitled to apply to the UW Student Union (ASta –Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss) for a refund of the semester ticket fees. Should the refund be granted, they will not then be entitled to free travel within the NRW network.
Please enclose the following documents with your application:

  • university certification of your diploma/master’s thesis or of your work placement / internship
  • evidence of your place of residence during this period (copy of passport or of residential registration certificate)
  • printout of travel permit

Please note that costs will be refunded only for complete calendar months. Click here for further information about the semester ticket.

Renewal of registration after the 8th semester

In line with § 4 section 2 of UW's current Enrollment Regulations (dated 26.10.2007) (in German) doctoral students can remain registered until the end of the semester in which they are awarded their doctorate, for a maximum period of 8 semesters.
In exceptional cases a prolongation of up to 4 semesters is possible, on condition that the student present to the Student Administration Office, within the deadline for renewal of registration, written confirmation from their supervisor of the need for prolongation (see download form below).
Prolongation beyond a period of 12 semesters requires presentation to the Student Administration Office at each renewal of registration of written confirmation from the doctoral degree examinations board confirming the need for prolongation (see download form below). Renewal deadlines must be observed.
International doctoral students whose first degree is from a university in their home country are subject to the same regulations. However, if they request a prolongation, they must also submit the relevant confirmation (see download form below) to UW's International Office.
Confirmation of progress in doctoral studies – to be submitted to the Student Administration Office / UW International Office.

Does UW have a license for bibliographic management programs?

UW’s membership of Web of Science includes free use of the Internet-based version of the workplace software EndNote. Because of its compatibility with many library cataloging systems and other reference management programs, EndNote Web is easy to use. As well as bibliographical research and management, it provides access to online databases for the import of bibliographical information. It also carries a range of style sheets for automatic structuring of biblio¬graphies.
All members of the university can access EndNote Web from any computer within the university network – or from home if you have a secure link (VPN) to the UW network. For information on VPN access consult the website of the University Information and Media Center: Information on VNP external access. To access EndNote Web you must first complete your personal registration and sign in. Then you can select My EndNote Web and use it at any time for bibliographical research and to import existing literature lists.